Apple pushed out new versions of its iOS, tvOS, and watchOS operating systems for iPhone, Apple TV, and Apple Watch devices on Monday. Dubbed iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, and watchOS 7.6, the updates are relatively small and include tweaks, bug fixes, and a minor new feature or two.
The primary impetus for the iOS update seems to be added support for the recently launched MagSafe Battery Pack that is compatible with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro lines.
Additionally, Apple Card holders can now “combine credit limits and share one account with an existing Apple Card user,” a new option that Apple first announced earlier this year.
Beyond that, the update is mostly about bug fixes and small tweaks, and it expands the regions for which the weather app offers air quality information. (It adds Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain.)
Apple’s release notes for iOS 14.7 are as follows:
iOS 14.7 includes the following improvements and bug fixes for your iPhone:
- MagSafe Battery Pack support for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple Card Family adds the option to combine credit limits and share one co-owned account with an existing Apple Card user
- Home app adds the ability to manage timers on HomePod
- Air quality information is now available in Weather and Maps for Canada, France, Italy, Netherlands, South Korea, and Spain
- Podcasts library allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows
- Share playlist menu option missing in Apple Music
- Dolby Atmos and Apple Music lossless audio playback may unexpectedly stop
- Battery service message that may have disappeared after reboot on some iPhone 11 models is restored
- Braille displays could show invalid information while composing Mail messages
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
tvOS and watchOS
As is often the case, the tvOS 14.7 update appears to be nothing to write home about. Apple says it offers bug fixes and small improvements, but the company did not publish an itemized list of changes.
There’s a bit more going on with watchOS, but not much. The 7.6 update also fixes bugs and makes small tweaks, but the flagship change seems to be the addition of ECG support in 30 more regions. You can view the full list of countries and regions that support the feature on Apple’s watchOS website.
All three updates (iOS 14.7, tvOS 14.7, and watchOS 7.6) rolled out to all supported devices in all regions today. Curiously, we haven’t seen an accompanying iPadOS 14.7 update yet; Apple usually updates iOS and iPadOS in tandem.