The Nothing Phone (2) has an official launch timeline. CEO Carl Pei has confirmed that the company’s second-gen smartphone will debut in July. It will be a simultaneous global launch this time around. The phone will arrive in the US at the same time as the rest of the world.
Carl Pei revealed these details during a recent interview with Forbes. He didn’t share a specific launch date for the Nothing Phone (2), but the July timeline means the company is seemingly aiming for a yearly launch cycle of its smartphones. The Phone (1) debuted on July 12 last year.
The Nothing CEO also revealed that the Phone (2) will come with a slightly bigger battery. The new device packs a 4,700mAh battery, up from a 4,500mAh cell found in the Phone (1). Combined with the efficiency of the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chip that powers the phone (already confirmed by Pei), the Phone (2) is said to bring an 80 percent overall performance improvement over its predecessor. Pei didn’t share charging speed details, though. Last year’s model offers 33W wired, 15W wireless, and 5W reverse wireless charging.
The Nothing Phone (2) will arrive in the US in July
Nothing is bringing the Phone (2) to the US, for real. You will be able to actually buy and use it stateside like any other phone, at the same time as people in other regions. That wasn’t the case with the Phone (1). Firstly, it arrived in the US almost six months after the global launch. Even then, it was just for “testing purposes” with the company offering a hefty discount on the phone to find any takers. It came with several compromises such as no warranty and incompatibility with most 5G bands.
But it’s a different story this year. Nothing is developing a US variant of the Phone (2). It will be FCC-certified (the Phone (1) that came in the US was a global variant with no FCC certification) and will support all wireless network bands stateside. The plan is to try and challenge Apple’s domination in the US smartphone market. “With the US being a very Apple-dominated market with no real option for people looking for an alternative, it represents a good opportunity for the Phone (2),” Pei said.
According to the Nothing CEO, the Phone (1) has “one of the highest rates of people switching from iOS to Android”. Pei claims it’s three to four times the average in some markets. The company seemingly believes it can win over a few Apple users in the US as well. “Apple is continuously gaining ground over Android, and there isn’t a real exciting alternative out there right now, especially for the younger generation,” Pei said. Time will tell whether Nothing can emerge as a worthy Android alternative to iPhones. The Phone (1) has reportedly sold 750,000 units so far, about half the total number of the first-gen iPhones sold.
The post Nothing Phone (2) will launch globally in July, Carl Pei confirms appeared first on Android Headlines.