We’ve seen loads of Android gaming smartphones in the last few years, often featuring plenty of power, a high refresh rate, and extra inputs such as shoulder triggers. But dedicated Android-based handhelds from major companies have been few and far between.
It looked like Lenovo was preparing to unveil one such device at MWC 2021 according to details found on its own website. It’s unclear whether the firm still plans to release the Lenovo Legion Play device, but it offered a full suite of gaming controls (including two analog sticks), a 7,000mAh battery, and more. So we asked whether you’d buy this device, and here’s what you said.
Would you buy the Lenovo Legion Play?
Just over 1,700 votes were tallied when we posted the poll inside our news story on Monday, and it looks like a slim majority of respondents said that it depends on the price. We can understand why people would vote this way, as you might not want to pay top dollar for such a niche device. But a bargain price could make it an easier pill to swallow in case it ends up gathering dust after a few months.
Those who voted “no” were close behind, accounting for just over 41% of polled readers. Judging by the comments, it seems like many people don’t like the idea of Android games on a handheld to begin with (although emulators are a possibility too). At least one other user suggested that you could get the same experience out of a smartphone and a Razer Kishi controller.
Finally, just over 15% of respondents said they’d be happy to buy the Lenovo Legion Play. Presumably, these people are attracted to the idea of console-quality integrated controls on an Android device.
- Anfronie: This is not a Deck competitor. It’s a gaming smartphone competitor.
- Android and gaming? that’s a good one lol, the amount of ads and iap you have to get through just to play any game because they are design to beg money out of the gamers that it’s just not worth playing any of them, in fact emulated games on Android are far better. This is no threat to the Steam Deck because at least on that, you are getting full on PC gaming.
- veesonic: If this is a phone this is great news! If this is a tablet/wi-fi device I’ll pass. Can’t keep up with the Switch.
- TheLastBattalion: It looks like a PS Vita to me. As for me, I wouldn’t buy anything of the sort. I barely play any Android games (with the possible exception of Fate Grand Order) so I wouldn’t bother with it. I am strongly considering the Steam Deck but that can play PC games on the go, a different market from what this is for.
- John Samuel αΩ: This is cool but it’s going to need to be like $150 to move any units. If it’s even close to SD pricing there’s no contest.
Thank you for voting in this poll and for leaving comments. What would it take for you to buy an Android-based handheld? Let us know below.